WAP-WIR - WALL PANEL WITHOUT RESIN - REPLACEMENT OF POLYESTER RESINS, VOLATILE SOLVENTS AND HAZARDOUS PIGMENTS WITH NATURAL STONE AND GLASS POWDERS (WAP-WIR)
The project, presented by Ceramiche Gardenia Orchidea S.p.A., one of the most important industry in the Italian ceramic sector, aim to industrialize a new process useful to produce stone-like bass relieves with a new and low-environmental impact technology by using an innovative mixture of eco-hydraulic bonding agents, cement-like, whose hardening process will be conducted in moisture-controlled chambers at a temperature that does not exceed 35-40°C. This will lead to the complete substitution of polyester resins, volatile solvents and hazardous pigments, actually used, with matrix composites containing natural stone and glass powders. This will involve important environmental issues by reduction of air and water pollution, of water consumption, of waste production, of energy consumption and by a product completely recyclable. The new process will be composed by a raw materials preparation system, a mixing system, mould filling system, curing, demoulding and quality control systems and finishing, final curing and packaging systems.
Reduction of air and water pollution, reduction of water use and energy consumption, complete recyclability, use of other sectors production waste
- The activities of determination and optimization of the raw materials mixture and identification of usable waste materials are near the completion, the definitive layout of the plant has been determined as well as the necessary parameters of the raw materials preparation system realization. The mould materials has been determined and some samples realized
- There will be discontinuation of toxic and harmful solvents, resins and pigments use: approx. 1450 ton/year;
- There will be reduction of water used of approx 1 million litres/year (60%) and of energy consumption of approx. 300.000 kWh/year (25%);
- There will be a methane savings of approx. 100.000 m3/year and proportional reduction of CO2 emissions
- There will be complete recyclability of products and use of other sector waste, as well as reduction of 15% in the production costs, as market strategy.
Name: Ferrari, Giuseppe