Innovation for urban wastewater treatment
R3Water targets urban wastewater treatment, to support solving a number of challenges:
- Needs for increased Resource efficient treatment in wastewater treatment
- Needs for saving and Reuse of water
- Needs for increased Recovery of substances
The main objective of R3 Water is to support the transition from an urban wastewater treatment plant to a production unit of different valuables by demonstrating new solutions to address main challenges. Objectives are to:
- Demonstrate technologies and solutions for increased efficiency in Urban wastewater treatment
- Demonstration of innovative wastewater technologies that enable reuse of water and recovery of valuables such as nutrients
- Facilitate market uptake in the European union and on a global market.
R3 Water will develop and demonstrate innovative technologies at 3 sites (Belgium, Spain, Sweden) to facilitate the transition into a production unit:
- Resource and climate efficient treatment, e.g. by efficient aeration and optimised process control
- Facilitating water reuse, e.g. by improved monitoring
- Recycling of nutrients and other valuables, e.g. by valorisation of sludge
Some technologies will be verified according to the EU ETV-scheme. Results will be disseminated to relevant stakeholder groups.