LIFE CLEANSED - Innovative integrated methodology for the use of decontaminated river sediments in plant nursing and road building
The LIFE CLEANSED project will demonstrate, evaluate and disseminate an innovative, integrated, multi-sector approach for the smart and sustainable management of polluted dredged river sediments. Polluted sediments will be dredged, transformed from a contaminated waste into valuable material via a specific decontamination treatment, and subsequently used.
Specific project objectives include:
- Turning the polluted sediments from a valueless and expensive waste into a valuable raw material for plant nursing and road building, guaranteeing the full environmental and financial sustainability of the approach;
- Using the decontaminated sediments as a substrate/amender to prevent the loss of soil and biomass because of plant nursing activities; and
- Using the decontaminated sediments as a filler material for the construction of roads.
Expected results: The project expects to achieve the following results:
- The decontamination of 836 m3 of dredged river sediments, which will be turned from valueless waste into a usable and marketable raw material;
- The smart management of contaminated sediments: instead of treatment costing an average price of €75/m3, it will cost €35/m3 and the sediments will be turned into clean raw material with a market value between €10 and €20/m3. This will mean a 66-80% net saving for sediment decontamination and the valorisation of a waste stream;
- Demonstration of the efficacy of using decontaminated river sediments as a substrate for the cultivation of 72 ornamental plants of three different species characterised by different levels of saline stress tolerance;
- The demonstration of decontaminated river sediments as a suitable structural material for the construction of a 100m-long road;
- The use of 836 m3 of decontaminated sediments instead of aggregates from third-party catchments, with subsequent conservation of quarry and river environments; and
- The sustainable restoration of agricultural soil used for plant nursing.
Project Manager: Graziana MASCIANDARO
Tel: +39 0503152481