Efficient Management in Irrigation Areas
Demonstration Site description
OPTIREG “Efficient management in irrigation areas”, offers solutions in the irrigation sector researching more deeply into technological innovations in irrigation. OPTIREG started in 2013 and wants to involve and optimize management and decision making processes increasing efficiency hydropower. As immediate outcome it also increases economical profitability in irrigation agriculture. To achieve innovation management in irrigation, OPTIREG has created four scenarios. These are scheduled along the following years and interrelated. These scenarios are: 1) renewable energy 2) energy market models; 3) water efficiency; 4) energy efficiency.
There is a demo sites in Leon, addressing 2) energy market models3) water efficiency and 4) energy efficiency, that is de water community from “Lef side of Porma River” in which, Tragsa, during six years, has obtained an optimum amount of water and energy balance. User communities follows a dynamic demand schedule model instead of a fixed scheduled model designed out of user needs and request.. This demo site have a) organised irrigation demand, b) contracted power reduction, c) unitary price energy reduction, d) energy dynamic buying in global markets.
Results obtained so far
Energy consumption savings (kwh/m3) up to 22%. Energy cost savings ( €/kwh) over 17%.
The prototype created in Porma region, can be easily replicated in other irrigation areas. The key element which made this project successful is the smart management in irrigation areas. The success factors are savings and better water/energy balance with the following milestones:
1) Establishing criteria for implementation of renewable energy end 2015.
2) Energy cost savings increase in national irrigation areas mid 2016.
3) Energy consumption savings over 22% in the demo site in León end 2015. 4) To fix the Kc of each crop to plot level mid 2016.
The performance indicator are:
1) Implementation of renewable energy in irrigation areas.
2) A publication of alternative energy contracting for the irrigated areas and guidelines to follow for the best option in each irrigation area.
3) Energy Consumed ratio optimization / Pumped Volume ( kwh/m3)
4) To apply the right amount of water at the right moment in each cultivation.
- Real-time detection of incidents at minimum cost. - Irrigation areas integrated management.
Repeatability & Applicability
These models may be extrapolated to each irrigation area, considering the specificities of regulation frames per country and/or region dealing with energy and water.