Short Description of NCSR “Demokritos”
National Center of Scientific Research DEMOKRITOS (C)
The Nuclear Research Centre “Demokritos” was inaugurated in 1961, following the operation of the nuclear reactor research facility. The development of the nuclear reactor introduced a cutting-edge technology in Greece signifying a major turning point in the development of the large-scale research infrastructures and the first step towards the establishment of a National policy for Research and Technology. After 50 years of operation, “Demokritos” remains a point of reference as a successful example of a multidisciplinary research center in Greece.
Due to the financial crisis and its dimensions, 2011 is a milestone for Greece and especially the Greek research community. The National dimension of the economic crisis requires persistent and systematic efforts towards the improvement of Greece’s competitiveness and the attraction of investment funds, among other. This year the National Centre of Scientific Research “Demokritos” commemorates fifty years of verified scientific “Excellence” and contribution to society and meets contemporary challenges by an extensive organizational reform and the re-orientation of its operational scope and objectives. In this context, NCSR “Demokritos” has initiated the integration of its R&D activities into “Poles/Networks of Excellence”; these poles are in accordance with National technological and development priorities and European funding opportunities, in order to further strengthen international research initiatives and co-operation. The primary objective is the augmentation of the innovation and technology transfer activities in order to contribute to both the National development initiatives and the advancement of research and technology in Greece. The NCSR “Demokritos” is poised to play a pivotal role for a “multiplier effect” of scientific and research activities which will reflect positively on economical development in Greece.
The 50th Anniversary of “Demokritos” presents the opportunity to review the Centre's activities, pay tribute to scientists who have contributed to research and technological development of the country. The 50th Anniversary signifies the role of “Demokritos” as a public research foundation and its active bonds to the Greek society. NCSR "Demokritos", the largest multidisciplinary research centre of the country hosts significant scientific research, technological development and educational activities, coordinated by eight Institutes. The center’s internationally distinguished scientific personnel utilise a number of unique Greek research infrastructures, working diligently towards scientific excellence, technological innovation and education. Moreover intensive efforts are directed towards the interconnection of technology and innovation. Through the combination of effective research administration and scientific management NCSR “Demokritos” promotes scientific research and technological development at a large scale and ranks among the top research centers in Greece and Europe. In this manner, the scientific publications of scientists from NCSR “D” account for 35% of all publications produced by Greek research Centers on an annual basis.
- Institute of Informatics and Telecommunications
- Institute of Biosciences and Applications
- Institute for Nuclear & Radiological Sciences & Technology, Energy & Safety
- Institute for Advanced Materials, Physicochemical Processes, Nanotechnology & Microsystems
- Institute for Nuclear and Particle Physics
Future Poles of Excellence in line of the National Strategic Research Priorities
- Informatics & Telecommunications
- Microsystems and Nano-electronics
- Biosciences and Applications
- Nuclear and Radiological Sciences, Technology , Energy and Safety
- Advanced Materials, Physicochemical Processes and Nanotechnology
- Nuclear and Particle Physics
The Center’s infrastructure has several crucial characteristics:
- 60.000 sq meters Campus
- 55.500 sq meters Building Area
- potential to develop additional spaces for new laboratories and office complexes
- proximity to the airport
- The Center hosts a number of large scale research infrastructures and unique facilities and laboratories including:
- Nuclear Reactor
- Tandem Accelerator
- Dioxine Analysis Laboratory
- Solar and other Energy Systems
- Karyotype analysis, and many more.
Administration & Management
The center is governed by a board of Directors with eight members, consisting of the Director of the center (President of the Board), the Directors of each of the five institutes and two elected employee representatives.
The administration of the center is carried out by the departments of:
- Economics and administration
- Technological applications and research support
- Special accounts for research support, financed by third parties.
The Centre’s personnel is composed of 700+ distinguished researchers, research support professionals and scientific associates. The Center is distinguished for supporting a visionary and dynamic research community that is currently under the process of re-orientating its efforts with emphasis on innovation exploitation and fostering of new businesses and synergetic cooperation with the private sector.
Education is one of the major activities of NCSR “Demokritos” from its establishment until today. The basic mission of the educational program of NCSR “Demokritos” is to provide a high level of education in postgraduate studies, professional training, continuing training and addresses graduates, students of all levels, specialized groups but also the wide public. The educational program of NCSR “Demokritos” is based on the important experience and knowledge of its human potential, in the latest developments of research in important sectors of natural sciences and technology as well as on the specialized, and in most cases unique infrastructure.
Innovation Exploitation, Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship
The National Center for Scientific Research (NCSR) "Demokritos" has demonstrated over 20 years of experience in international scientific collaborations and active participation in research projects and network coordination activities funded by National authorities and the European Union.
High quality scientific services and development of innovative technologies are provided from the numerous Scientific and Technological Laboratories of the Center, based on the accumulated high level of expertise and knowhow.
Intellectual Property developed through synergetic cooperation and activities with national and international stakeholders of the private and public sectors has resulted in the development of innovative products and services.
Entrepreneurship initiatives and the development of spin-offs for the exploitation of in-house developed know-how dates back in 1991 and in the establishment of the first Science & Technology Park. Following this initial successful paradigm the New Science & Technology Park of Attica “Lefkippos” started operating in 2009.
Today “Lefkippos” hosts 27 technology-intensive companies and spin-offs in the areas of biotechnology, biomedicine, nanotechnology, materials, microelectronics, informatics and telecommunications.
Strategic Development Priorities
- Development of critical mass through the re-organization focus on National Poles of Research Excellence in conjunction with the National Strategic Priorities for the Research & Development
- Development of synergic co-operations and fostering of new business and technology exploitation opportunities with the private sector for “mature technologies” and high-added value services.
- Development of a “breakthrough technologies” incubator including a “proof of concept” technology park and an innovative research management and exploitation unit.
- Development of an outreaching mechanism for the fostering of strategic alliances with socioeconomic stakeholders
- Development of a International Conference and Congress Center fostering the mobility of the personnel and provision of high-added value educational services.