European Forest Institute
The European Forest Institute (EFI)
- is an international organisation, established by European States.
- 25 European States have ratified the Convention on EFI.
- has approx.130 Associate and Affiliate Member organisations in 36 countries, five Regional Offices and one Project Centre.
- Our Headquarters is in Joensuu, Finland and our Policy Support office is located in Barcelona, Spain.
EFI conducts research and provides policy advice on issues related to forests.
- facilitates and stimulates forest-related networking and promotes the dissemination of unbiased and policy-relevant information on forests and forestry.
- advocates for forest research and for the use of scientifically sound information as a basis for forest policies.
These activities are conducted by our HQ and Regional Offices.
EFI's work in the field of policy support includes enhanced support for decision takers and policy makers. EFI hosts the EU FLEGT Facility which supports the EU Forest Law Enforcement Governance and Trade (FLEGT) process in developing countries, related to the implementation of the EU FLEGT Action Plan.