Call for hosting the fifth EIP Water Conference in 2019
The EIP Water is pleased to announce this call for a host city and conference partners for the fifth EIP Water Conference which is planned to take place in 2019. The conference shall be preceded or followed by side events and site visits. We are now inviting all interested host cities and conference partners to develop and submit their proposals by the deadline of 31 July 2018.
Background and benefits of hosting the EIP Water conference
The host city and conference partners of the EIP Water’s fifth Conference will benefit from the great visibility of the event within the European water sector as well as a number of high-level speakers and international participants. The European Innovation Partnership on Water has taken a central role on the European water innovation landscape, providing a platform for collaboration of all actors in the field of water and innovation. It has succeeded in bringing together a pan-European community of policy-makers, researchers and academia, SME’s and global corporations who collaborate to drive the development of innovative solutions to water challenges and shape water innovation policy in Europe and globally.
The host city and conference partners will be able to showcase their experiences related to water & innovation and, if so agreed with EIP Water, suggest specific topics and challenges of their concern. The previous EIP Water conferences in Brussels (2013), Barcelona (2014), Leeuwarden (2016) and Porto (2017) have demonstrated that the EIP Water conference is a brilliant opportunity for strengthening pan-European and global networking for boosting innovation in the water sector. Since 2013, the event has continued to increase with over 350 participants in Brussels in 2013, more than 400 in Barcelona in 2014, 600 participants in 2016 in Leeuwarden and 1200 participants in Porto.
The organizers are confident that the 2019 conference will once again be an outstanding event for the European water sector and will contribute to removing innovation barriers and creating opportunities for more water innovation in Europe and globally.
Criteria for host city & conference partner selection
We look forward to receiving candidates’ bids by 31 July 2018; the evaluation of proposals will specifically consider the following mandatory and/or appreciated criteria:
Host City & Conference Partners
- These should be organisations and businesses involved in Water & Innovation as well as local authorities: We expect as conference partners the involvement of both, the host city authorities and one or several organisations which work on water & innovation, the key concepts of the EIP Water and the Conference. We welcome additional partners, such as national and regional governments and water management authorities, or other stakeholders including companies, to play an active part in the event preparation and the event itself.
- The proposal needs to show clear political buy-in and willingness to host and promote an international Conference on innovation in the water sector. Both, financial and in-kind contributions and support are appreciated and will be needed.
- Synergies with ongoing EU research and innovation projects in the water area are also valued.
- Information about the underlying ambition of the hosts regarding visibility and impact of the event, as well as the alignment with other initiatives is much welcome.
- Transport: The European host city needs to be easily reachable by plane (i.e. near a major international airport) and train (with international train connections). In addition, the conference venue should be reachable by public transport, within less than 60 min. A city promoting a "smart city" approach is appreciated.
- Accommodation: At least one 4-stars hotel needs to be in walking distance from the Conference Venue. There should preferably be a mixture of hotels in the host city and not too far from the venue, allowing for accommodation of a mix of people, from VIPs to students.
- Site visits: There should be on-site water innovation experiences close to the venue (maximum 1 hr distance) and site visits offered for free (organised by the hosting institutions and other local partners). As an example please have a look at the site visits of the previous Conferences: http://www.eip-water.eu/site-visits-eip-water-conference-2014, http://www.eip-water.eu/site-visits-eip-water-conference-2016 and http://portowaterinnovationweek.eu/eip.
- Outreach and media engagement: Collaboration with the Communication department of the host city and partner organisations for event promotion and leadership for joint media engagement activities will be appreciated.
- Venue: We are looking for a modern venue (incl. technical equipment) with a plenary room for up to 1,000 participants, organised in either auditorium- or cinema-style. The venue should include an appropriate reception area and preferably have daylight. We expect that the venue will be provided for free by the hosting institutions; and we appreciate if it has a strategy for energy efficiency implementation in place or is using renewable energy sources. We also appreciate other “green event” elements such as: Minimum water use strategy, saving waste (materials) strategy, Recycling opportunities, Products from local market.
- Exhibition area: An Exhibition/Lunch area needs to be nearby (less than 5 minutes walking distance from the plenary room) for around 30 exhibitors (with the opportunity to display material on exhibition booths and presenting posters/roll ups) and allowing the up to 1,000 participants to have a standing networking lunch/cocktail at the same time. Sponsorship of lunch and coffee breaks by the host city and/or Conference partners will be appreciated.
- Technical equipment: Modern technical equipment needs to be available e.g. projector, screen(s), lighting, microphones, sound, wifi (also available for the participants and strong enough to support live-streaming as well), stage, lectern, etc. (voting systems, etc. are also appreciated). Audio/Video technician support should be provided. A printing possibility for the EIP Water Secretariat is required. Sponsorship by host institutions is appreciated.
- Security: Security of the event needs to be ensured; the security procedure to enter the Conference Venue should be as simple/limited as possible.
- Side meetings: Additional meeting facilities shall be available for free to hold approximately 10 parallel side meetings (estimated 10-40 participants) the day before and after the conference, either in or close to the conference venue.
- Catering: Logistical support from the host institutions (e.g. for suggestions of suppliers for welcome coffee, coffee breaks, lunch and cocktail) is required. Sponsorship of welcome cocktail and/or closure by local institutions is appreciated. We appreciate also catering options that include local/organic food at high standards, vegetarian portions and religious considerations. Caterers shall have an environmental policy, and reduce or ban the use of plastic products.
Financial and in-kind contributions
The EIP Water has a limited budget for realizing its annual conference. Thus, we are also looking for financial and various kinds of in-kind contributions from the host city and partner organizations. In order to make an informed decision, bids should provide rough estimates of the costs of the venue in accordance with the specifications in this document, as well as details of all in-kind support and sponsored contributions. The bid should in addition provide information about the city and nearby attractions.
Finally, it should be noted that the EIP Water Secretariat will work closely with the host city and partner organisations during the planning phase and conduction of the event. The EIP Water retains the right to make final decisions based on its overall direction, delegate expectations and the management function of the event. The EU Commission is in charge of the conference programme, but will liaise with the host city and conference partner to develop and agree on a programme suitable for all parties.
Your candidature and bids
If you are interested in hosting the EIP Water Conference 2019, please start preparing your proposal and send it by 31 July 2018 to ENV-EIP-WATER@ec.europa.eu. Each of the above-listed criteria needs to be addressed in your proposal. Host cities’ and Conference partner organisations’ contacts shall be clearly specified, as well as the possible constraints/limitations.
For any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Karen Dalgaard-Sanning at ENV-EIP-WATER@ec.europa.eu.
We look forward to receiving your interesting and attractive proposal!